If you have a furry friend, the chances are you are stuck in a constant struggle — the battle against dog hair. You see, cat hair takes longer to build up and typically gets on your clothes or furniture. It’s certainly a nuisance, but it is much easier to manage. But dogs are a different story. They’re the ones that create hairy tumbleweeds that blow through your house. That’s the main reason most dog owners are on a neverending search for the best vacuums for dog hair.
I am a proud owner of an adorable dog. He is part German Shepherd and part black Labrador. But the amount of hair he sheds year-round is honestly astonishing! My current vacuum cleaner was a gift when I got married, and it’s a great little Bissell. But it’s much too small for me now with the cats, dog, and a house that is half carpet and half hardwood. Finding a vacuum that works well on the whole combination is more difficult than I thought. That’s exactly why I decided it was time to figure out which are the best vacuums for dog hair.
Figure Out What You Need in a Vacuum
There’s a reason there are so many different types of vacuums. Everyone has different needs, and you need to figure out exactly what is right for you. We might all have dog hair in common, but the layout of our homes play a huge role in which vacuum we should get. In the end, the best vacuums for dog hair are the ones that make cleaning as easy as possible. So what might be right for me, may not be right for you. Our goal is to be as unbiased as possible because we want to give you a variety of different options.
Consider your flooring
When looking for a vacuum, it is crucial to consider what kind of flooring you have. If you mainly have carpeting, you will need something that pulls the dog hair out of the carpet. But if you primarily have tiles, linoleum, or hardwood, you will need something that picks up dirt and hair without blowing it around.
Consider the layout of your home
Another aspect you will want to take into consideration is the layout of your home. Do you have a single story home or multiple levels? If you have stairs as I do, you will want something that is lightweight and has a long hose for cleaning the stairs. In addition, 2-in-1 units are also very handy for cleaning the stairs. Some people may want to consider buying two vacuums. Having multiple vacuums is a good idea for seniors. They might not have a hard time getting up and down the stairs on their own, but carrying an awkward object while climbing the stairs can make it much harder.
Take into account how many pets are part of your family
If you have as many pets as I did growing up, you will want to take the number of your furry family into account. Having a single dog is a lot to keep up with, depending on the breed. But having two, three, or more is definitely something to think about. They also may not be the only animals you have.
If you have multiple animals, I would not recommend stick models or cordless vacuums. They might seem small, compact, and convenient, but they will end up being more hassle than they are worth. Stick vacuums are meant to be compact and easy to store, but they don’t normally have big canisters. So you will need to empty them often unless you plan to vacuum daily. Maybe a few times per room. That’s something I’m currently dealing with. In addition, cordless vacuums don’t have a long battery life across the board. So if you have a large house, you probably won’t be able to get the job done with a single charge.
Different Types of Vacuums and Their Best Uses
There are a few simple types of vacuums. I want to give you a reference point so that you will have an easier time figuring out which ones might work best for you. Keep in mind that this isn’t something you need to stick to, but I thought it could be helpful to know the best uses for each type of vacuum and why. I should also mention that all the vacuums listed will be bagless. Canister style vacuums are much more common now, and they are simpler to use all around.
Corded vs. cordless
Both types will be listed, but there is a fine line between them. A cordless vacuum is extremely convenient because you don’t have to switch outlets as you clean the entire house. But they typically have short battery life. On average, the cordless vacuums on our list will last between 20 to 45 minutes before they will need recharging. Considering they need to be charged for a few hours, that cuts down on the convenience. Corded vacuums are much better for a large house or heavy use. So I generally recommend them if you have a few pets.
Standard, stick, or handheld
Overall, a standard design is nice because you commonly have more power and they work well for pets. They traditionally have a larger design and a larger canister. Unfortunately, they also tend to be the heaviest on the list.
Stick style vacuums are easy to store, lighter, and have a slender design. But they also tend to have smaller canisters. However, if you need something that is convenient for lugging up and down stairs, they are perfect.
Handheld vacuums are another wonderful product because they are ideal for furniture and staircases, as well as cleaning the interior of your vehicles and any other tight spaces. They’re one of the best vacuums for dog hair, but they aren’t for your everyday household cleaning. They're more specialized and are for anyone that already has a typical vacuum. You can also find some 2-in-1 devices that have a handheld device built in.
Prices to Expect with These Products
The best vacuums for dog hair don’t have to be expensive. Price doesn’t always dictate that one vacuum is ultimately superior to another. The higher price might give you more features, but they will all serve the same purpose. All the vacuums on this list are specifically for pets and made by well-known brands. They are also between $30 and $275.
How we reviewed
There is no specific order to this list. The list is not from best to worst. The ratings for each of these items come from average customer reviews. The goal is to give you a list of the best vacuums for dog hair with realistic expectations. We want to let you know what real people loved or hated about all of these vacuums.
The 8 Best Vacuums for Dog Hair
Now for the vacuums! Remember that there is no order to this list. We will be giving you a highlight of the best features and what customers said about it. You already know what you’re looking for in terms of style or specific features. We’re just bringing some great options to the table!
4.5 out of 5 stars
- Suction channel technology provides edge-to-edge suction for improved cleaning performance
- 9x Multi-cyclonic with no loss of suction
- Swivel steering and brush roll on/off switch to easily clean the carpets and hard floors around your home
- Pet tool, crevice tool, and extended-reach hose for full-stair cleaning
- Fiberize pet odor eliminator eliminates pet odors and freshens as you vacuum
The Bissell Powerglide is a classic style with a modern twist. It is one of the heaviest on the list at around 16 pounds. But as far as a pet vacuum goes, it has superb suction and comes with a pet tool, crevice tool, and a tool to extend your reach. You certainly won’t be limited with a 27-foot power cord and a 10-foot hose.
The key features of this device are the multi-level filtration system and its ability to reduce allergens. Along with the Febreze filter, this vacuum will trap dust and pet dander and freshen your home.
You can find this device online for about $165 to $175 and comes with a 5-year limited warranty. Overall, customers love the power behind this machine, giving it a 4.0 out of 5.0 stars rating. The main complaint was that the pet tool is not as effective as they had hoped.
4.1 out of 5 stars
- 40 Minutes of Cordless Power - Removable Lithium Ion battery for 40 minutes of fade free power and cordless convenience
- Lightweight & Compact - This cordless powerhouse weighs less than 8 pounds and has a collapsible handle for easy storage
- Powerful Multi Surface Cleaning - Innovative power foot design and multi surface brush roll delivers high performance cleaning on hard floors and carpets
- Maximized Maneuverability - With swivel steering and a lay flat handle, Air Ram maneuvers under and around furniture with ease
- Easy Empty Dirt Bin - Removable dirt bin with built in Easy Empty slider that pushes out debris, hair and dirt for a mess free empty.Charge Time:4 Hours to Recharge
The Bissell Air Ram is a very convenient cordless vacuum. It has powerful suction, a collapsible handle, and LED lights to assist you in your cleaning. The battery lasts for 40 minutes of continuous use. It is a lightweight device at about seven pounds.
Cleaning will be a breeze with this unit, but there were a few complaints. For one thing, this vacuum does not lay flat enough to vacuum under furniture. When you lean the handle down far enough, the front end will begin to lift up. It is mostly recommended for general cleaning because some customers don’t feel like this is a very durable device.
You can find the Bissell Air Ram for $125 to $135 with a 2-year limited warranty. It has a customer rating of 4.1 out of 5.0 stars.
4.5 out of 5 stars
- Portable and ultra-lightweight. Less than 4 pounds in total
- True Pet Motorized Brush for handheld deep cleaning
- Easy-to-empty dust cup. No bag needed and empties with the touch of a button.
- 15-foot-long power cord You never have to recharge, while giving you freedom to clean the whole room.
- Powerful cleaning from start to finish.Amperage (amps):3.4
If you already have your favorite vacuum for dog hair, you may be looking for additional tools. In that case, the Shark Rocket Hand Vacuum might be exactly what you need. It is the perfect handheld device to use on your furniture, car, or for stray clumps of hair that seem to build up in no time. It made the list of the best vacuums for dog hair because most normal units can’t be used on furniture effectively.
The 15-foot power cord wasn't long enough for some customers. But this device only weighs about four pounds and has simple but effective attachments. The only repeated complaint was that the cord storage does not work as well as it should.
You can find the Shark Rocket handheld vacuum for about $85 to $100 with a 1-year limited warranty. It has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.
4.1 out of 5 stars
If you’re looking for a powerful 2-in-1 device, the Dyson V6 Animal is perfect. It has great suction, is cordless, and comes with a wall mount for simple storage. It is a lightweight 5 pounds and has a battery life of 20 minutes for continuous use.
The main complaints about this device were the fact that there was nowhere to store the attachments on the wall mount or unit. It also has a very limited battery life and canister capacity. But it was loved for its suction power and simple design.
You can find the Dyson V6 Animal for about $270 to $280 with a 2-year limited warranty. It received an average of 4.1 out of 5.0 stars.
4.1 out of 5 stars
- BoostIQ Technology**: New feature automatically increases suction power when extra vacuuming strength is needed to get the best clean (Power Boost is now known as BoostIQ).
- New and Improved: An upgraded front-bumper streamlines RoboVac's profile to glide effortlessly under and around furniture while a reinforced suction inlet prevents wear.
- Upgraded 3-Point Cleaning System: A redesigned rolling brush -wider and reduces trapping rugs and sheets-, two side brushes, and powerful suction ensure a thorough clean.
- Premium Features: Anti-scratch tempered glass cover for protection, infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. Recharges automatically.
- What You Get: eufy RoboVac 11+, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of high-performance filters, extra set of side brushes, welcome guide and our worry-free 12-month warranty.
We don’t all have time to vacuum on a daily basis. But when you have dogs, it’s not something you can avoid for long. Luckily there is an easy solution to your problem. The Robot Pet Vacuum is one of the best vacuums for dog hair for anyone that needs a little help cleaning up. It is a self-propelled vacuum robot that has a four-stage cleaning routine. There is even an auto-timer you can set so this little guy will clean at the same time every day. The sensors will protect this machine from bumping into things or dropping down the stairs, and it will return to its station on its own to charge.
Keep in mind that this little vacuum is best for hardwood or tile flooring. It is not the best on the carpet. It has great suction but simply isn’t built for carpets in general.
You can find the Robot Pet Hair vacuum for about $125 to $135 with a 1-year warranty. It received an average of 4.1 out of 5.0 stars.
4.3 out of 5 stars
- Dirt cup capacity - 0.75 liters. Buy BISSELL, save pets. BISSELL donates up to 10 dollars to the BISSELL pet foundation for every pet product purchase, upon activation
- Powerful pet hair pick up in a lightweight and agile design
- Quick release extension wand is always ready, always on
- Tangle-free brush roll eliminates annoying hair wrap
- Hands-free empty with cyclonic pet hair spooling system means you no longer have to touch the yuck.Cleaning Path Width:12 inch
The Bissell Pet Hair Eraser is a fan favorite as one of the best vacuums for dog hair because it has powerful suction and a simple design. It works extremely well on both hardwood and carpeting. That isn’t something you can say about all vacuums!
It comes with three simple attachments, a tangle-free brush roll, and a 30-foot power cord. It weighs about 14 pounds, but that is a fairly typical weight for a unit of this size. Regardless, customers are still a little weary of the weight if they have a second floor.
You can find the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser for about $175 to $185. It does come with a warranty, but the duration of the warranty is not listed online. The manufacturer did provide contact information if you are would like to inquire. It got an average rating of 4.3 out of 5.0 stars.
4.5 out of 5 stars
- Dust cup capacity 1.5 quarts; Shark's original full sized Powered Lift Away; The canister detaches to deep clean hard to reach areas while still delivering power to keep the brushroll spinning
- Anti Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum
- XL capacity with full size performance.Hose length (ft.): 6
- Fingertip controls allow you to easily switch from Hard Floor to Carpet mode
Here we have the SharkNinja Canister vacuum. It is one of their original models with a very straightforward design. It is easy to maneuver, has LED headlights, and anti-allergen complete seal technology with a HEPA filter. Overall, SharkNinja has created a strong vacuum that a lot of customers consider one of the best vacuums for dog hair because of the 2-in-1 capabilities. It gives them the ability to not only clean the floor but every other surface as well. The 30-foot power cord will also give you plenty of freedom to move around.
The only real downside to this device is the fact that the pet tool is not as effective on furniture as it could be. It is also a bit heavy at 15 pounds.
You can find the SharkNinja canister vacuum for about $240 to $265 with a limited lifetime warranty. It received 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.
4.1 out of 5 stars
- LIGHTWEIGHT: At 10 pounds this vacuum cleaner makes it easy to clean effortlessly
- MULTI FLOOR CLEANING: Easily transition from carpet to hardwood floors
- WINDTUNNEL TECHNOLOGY: Creates channels of suction to lift and remove surface debris and deeply embedded dirt
- LOW PROFILE DESIGN: Lies flat to reach under hard to clean furniture
- 2X CLEANING TIME: Extra Lithium Ion battery is included so you can double your cleaning time
If you’re looking for an extremely flexible device, you might want to consider the Hoover Linx. It is very easy to use and can easily clean under furniture with the extreme recline handle. The simple design of the stick vacuum makes it easy to store. The cordless feature gives you an entirely free range to clean. There is an option to buy this model with an extra battery. I would recommend purchasing the extra since the battery only lasts about 20 to 30 minutes and takes a few hours to recharge.
You can find the Hoover Linx for about $120 to $130 on its own, or about $180 to $190 with an extra battery. There is a two-year warranty included with this device. It got an admirable 4.1 out of 5.0 stars from the customers.
Cleaning Up After Your Furry Friend Doesn’t Have to Be Hard
4.0 out of 5.0
4.1 out of 5.0
4.5 out of 5.0
4.1 out of 5.0
4.1 out of 5.0
4.3 out of 5.0
4.5 out of 5.0
4.1 out of 5.0
If you have been struggling with your current vacuum, don’t worry. There is hope for you and your furry companions! It isn’t as hard as you might think to find the best vacuums for dog hair. It just depends on what you need. Make sure to consider the layout of your house before you pick out a vacuum. Some machines are generally designed to be better with one type of flooring. But all of these options are great contenders in the battle against furry tumbleweeds and hair-packed carpets!
These are obviously only a handful of the options on the market these days. So narrowing down the best vacuums for dog hair wasn't easy. If you have a favorite that isn’t listed or experience with any the units on this list, feel free to drop a comment below. We would love to hear from you!