Bathroom cleaning is an intimidating task, so you want the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew to make sure you do it right. The bathroom is an oft-used area of the house, and prone to moisture and warmth. These conditions are perfect for the growth of mold, mildew, and other unwelcome entities.
Scrubbing with regular soap or cleaning liquids is probably not going to keep your shower clean for long. That is an especially cumbersome chore, as the shower usually gets encrusted with dirt and other yucky substances.
That’s why the modern homeowner simply needs the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew, as these are engineered to make everything shine like new! These cleaners include some special chemicals, which can clear away the mold and other growths without the need for so much scrubbing.
There are several options available for different bathroom needs, though, so you should read on to find the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew in your home.
How to Choose the Best Shower Cleaner
for Mold and Mildew
If you’re looking for the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew, you want to make the most of your investment. While you might have to try out a few cleaners before finding just the right one, you can consider the following factors before making a decision. That will save a lot of your time and ensure that your shower gets sparkling clean with a minimum of effort.
Look At The Surface
We usually think of bathrooms as having just tiles, but you also need to consider any other surfaces where you may use the cleaner. For instance, the showerhead is probably ceramic, steel, or plastic. There are also glass surfaces in a bathroom, along with acrylic panes and wooden doors.
In some cases, a cleaner will leave a surface gleaming and shiny. In others, there would be an oily film on the surface, or the cleaner will result in discoloration and dullness.
Check If The Scent Is Safe Enough For Your Loved Ones
As mentioned above, the cleaners often have certain chemicals in them. These might have a strong smell, especially when you include bleach. The best shower cleaner for mold and mildew, however, will have a fresh and soft scent that will not cause any irritations, dizziness, or allergies. These are safe for daily use, especially if you have kids, seniors, or a pregnant woman in the house.
A strong smell means more fumes, which is simply not an ideal situation. If you do decide to go for a strong-smelling option, make sure not to use it every day.
Make sure you don’t have to scrub a lot
A cleaner works best just after you’ve had a shower, so you don’t really want to get dirty again by scrubbing everything in sight. Ideally, the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew should dissolve the grime, scum, mold, mildew, and any other accumulation so that you simply have to wipe the surfaces clean.
See If It’s User-Friendly
The best shower cleaners are those that are easy to use. They should hence have clear and detailed instructions on their labels. That will reduce the guesswork and make the job much easier. If the cleaner comes in a spray bottle, that’s an even better option.
Choose The Eco-Friendly Shower Cleaner
Strong chemicals and fumes in shower cleaners are harmful to the environment. However, there are some natural, softer versions that are safer for both humans and the atmosphere. They have biodegradable and natural ingredients which also make for a better smell. Therefore, it’s always a better option to prefer eco-friendly shower cleaner as the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew.
Consider Baking Soda And Vinegar As Essential Ingredients
Unfortunately, the more natural kinds of ingredients are also less effective. For different surfaces, you'll need different ingredients in order to achieve intensive cleaning. Cleaners that have a higher vinegar concentration or baking soda usually have the best results when you’re trying to remove stains from the bathroom or anywhere else.
Precautions to Take Before Using a Shower Cleaner
for Mild and Mildew
Before you buy one of the best shower cleaners for mold and mildew, you should also know which precautions to take before starting. After all, you want to ensure a clean bathroom. Since we’re working with a damp, moist atmosphere here, we want to make sure everything works out well. Hence, you should take the following precautions before spraying and cleaning:
The cleaning agents in some shower cleaners might irritate your skin, eyes, or nose. You should take care to avoid spraying in the direction of your own body when using the product. It’s better to wear gloves and a mask that covers your nose and mouth while spraying as well.
Since there are also toxic chemicals in most cleaners, avoid flushing that liquid down the toilet. Doing this could harm marine life.
As you’ll be using the shower cleaner on a regular basis, you want to go for as inexpensive an option as possible. If the state of the shower is getting out of hand, though, you may have to invest in a more effective but more expensive purchase. If you simply want to clean everything daily, a multi-purpose cleaner is best for dealing with the glass, doors, basin, tank, and shower all in one go.
The gloves you use for spraying should be non-porous, or the chemicals might seep through and irritate your skin. A mask or respirator will keep you safe from bleach fumes and other chemical smells. Also consider wearing a pair of goggles to protect your eyes, while keeping the doors and windows open.
When the cleaner has dissolved the mold or mildew, you shouldn't come into direct contact with the remains. Instead, wipe off the offending growths with a damp cloth.
The price ranges of our picks for the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew aren’t too high, as a rule. However, you might have to purchase stronger (and more expensive) cleaners in order to deal with a serious shower problem or to prevent new growths.
How We Reviewed the Best Shower Cleaners for
Mold and Mildew
To make sure you don’t compromise on the matter of shower cleaning, we’ve selected some of the best shower cleaners for mold and mildew. These are all currently available and have decently high ratings on Amazon. They come in different price ranges and have varying ingredients which affect their strength. You’ll hopefully find what you're looking for here, or at least something similar.
Best Shower Cleaner for Mold and Mildew:
Our Top 10 Picks
Our top picks for the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew -- in no order in paticular -- are as follows:
- Professional-strength cleaner and disinfectant to power off tough soils fast
- Only one product necessary to effectively clean, degrease, disinfect, remove stains, control mold and mildew, and deodorize
- Kills bacteria and viruses in 45 seconds
- Ready-to-use cleaner, custom formulated for fast cleanup
- Suggested applications include tools, tires, vinyl, stainless steel, engines, plastic, rubber, walls and ceilings, concrete, sinks, showers and bathtubs, etc
This Spray Nine cleaner is a heavy-duty option that also de-greases and disinfects the surfaces. It will greatly help in keeping the whole house clean, not just the shower. You might even be able to use it in your swimming pool, kitchen, and lawn mowers for removing stubborn stains.
You can look forward to a healthier life with this cleaner too, as it kills off most germs and bacteria within 45 seconds. There’s no need to add bleach or any harmful chemicals. The chemical smell might be too strong when used liberally and in a tight space, so you should be careful before using it.
- Best on the market for shower, tub, and toilet bowl
- Removes soap scum, rust, hard water deposits and lime
- This bottle is concentrated, just fill spray bottle with 4 parts water (4/5 or 80% water)
- 1 Gallon in size
- NOTE: Do not place container on formica, or any other porous surfaces. For very old surfaces being cleaned, test a small, inconspicuous area to determine if glaze or enamel surface is removed. If so, discontinue use immediately.
Empire Cleaning Supply’s Shower Power has a powerful effect, especially when you use a concentrated mixture. The solution is a gel-like substance that will cling to stains and won’t drip everywhere. It’s excellent for making tubs, fixtures, and toilets shine like new!
Using this solution can even clear up years of buildups such as soap scum, magnesium, calcium, etc. However, there was a complaint about it not being as effective as a similar product.
- Fills In Scratches And Restores Shine To Wood Floors And All Flooring Types
- Works On Hardwood, Laminate, Vinyl, Tile, Linoleum, Terracotta And More | Made In USA
- Easy Mop-On Application Provides Up To 50% More Traction | Dries In 45 Minutes And Lasts For Months
- This Low VOC Floor Restorer is GREENGUARD Certified Product And Perfect For Kitchen, Bathroom, Laundry And Hallway Floors
- Perfect For Residential And Commercial Use Including Homes, Dorms And Apartments
This Rejuvenate cleaner is actually meant mainly for filling in scratches and restoring the shine on flooring. However, it’s also great for cleaning up your shower as it also works on tiles as well as wooden and vinyl floors.
It’s easy to use this cleaner, as it simply requires a mop-on application. It will take about 45 minutes to dry, but the shine is meant to last for several months. There were some complaints about it not being too good on darker laminate floors, so we may want to avoid those.
- Disinfects and kills 99.9% of common household bacteria in only 30 seconds
- Kills viruses that cause colds and flu
- Effective formula that removes tough stains, dirt, grease and grime
- With the smart tube technology, you can spray every drop
- 32 fluid ounce spray bottle of cleaner with Bleach
With the Clorox Clean-Up cleaner, you’ll be sure to find several household chores less painful. It can clean up several showers and bathroom surfaces in a matter of seconds. It’s also easy to apply even in nooks and crannies.
The working here involves spraying the cleaner on any mold or mildew and leaving it for some time. Everything should then come off clean when wiped with a damp sponge or cloth. While this would work on most tough spots, it’s unfortunately not strong enough to make toilet bowls sparkle.
- STRONGEST MOLD KILLER: RMR-141 RTU Mold Killer and Disinfectant inhibits the growth of mold and mildew; eliminates odors; and disinfects in one easy step. It's a powerful, safe, and effective way to remove mold, bacteria, and viruses.
- EPA REGISTERED: This mold and mildew removal spray is the only EPA-registered disinfectant that has been tested and registered by global health authorities in the presence of approximately 100% organic soil tolerances.
- POSITIVELY CHARGED DISINFECTANT: RMR-141 RTU Mold Killer is a positively charged disinfectant that is powerful and works to easily track down and stick to negatively charged bacteria.
- KILLS 99.9% OF BACTERIA: Our mildew, odor, and mold-removal spray kills 99.9% of household bacteria and odor-causing bacteria. It's fungicidal and effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria. When used as directed, the product inhibits odors.
- MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS: Our mold killer has a broad-spectrum fungicide, virucide, and disinfectant formula that kills mildew and more than 141 different microorganisms. This product is for use in households, hospitals, restaurants, and institutions.
The RMR-141 RTU Mold Killer is both a disinfectant and a cleaner that actively inhibits mold, mildew, and other kinds of growth. It just requires one step to get rid of any buildup that’s making your shower look disgusting. To protect your surface and yourself, there are no harsh acids, bleach, or abrasives included here.
While there might be a couple of complaints about the product not working, these might be one-off cases. For the most part, this cleaner works well to remove stains, buildups, and even odors from bathrooms plus other areas.
This Tilex shower cleaner is found in several lists for the best shower cleaners for mold and mildew. It helps in getting out every kind of stain and will also prevent the problems from coming back. The formula is powerful, but it still won’t irritate your eyes.
You can clean your grout with this cleaner, along with your shower, toilet, tiles, and even fiberglass. Customers are also ecstatic about the price, as it’s accessible along with providing a holistic cleaning experience. According to reviews, the unique feature here is that you virtually do away with scrubbing, since the dissolving is effective and rapid. However, it does have a bleaching effect on just plastic.
- SEE RESULTS IN A MATTER OF MINUTES - Fighting with stubborn and clinging mildew, mold or algae? This powerful cleaner will help you eliminate and get rid of those nasty mold and mildew stains in a matter of minutes! Each Gallon treats 300 to 400 square feet!
- MAGIC NO-SCRUB FORMULA - Forget about mold and mildew cleaners requiring tedious scrubbing work! Simply spray the affected area and watch mold and stains literally disappear - ZERO SCRUBBING necessary!
- USE FOR ALMOST ANY SURFACE - Safely eliminates mildew, mold, and algae from shower walls, toilet bowls, bathtubs, stainless steel sinks, kitchen and bath tiles, brick surfaces, concrete driveways, AC Units, wood decks etc. Ideal to use in kitchens, bathrooms, basements, attics, boats, fencing and exterior.
- SIMPLE AND EASY TO USE - Apply mold and mildew remover spray at full strength. Before full application, test and let dry on an inconspicuous area. FOR BEST RESULTS: Spray on the affected area from bottom to top. Rinse with water. No scrubbing or rubbing required.
- SAVE TIME AND MONEY - Safe and effective cleaning of mildew, mold, and algae within a matter of minutes! Save yourself the cost and trouble on mold remediation and get rid of those nasty stains today!
This EcoClean Solutions shower cleaner is designed for removing stains without scrubbing. You’ll hopefully be able to fight stubborn, clingy, and disgusting mold or algae with this in your cleaning closets. It’s suitable for almost any kind of scrubbing, as the stains will disappear after you spray them.
The only downside here is that it doesn’t have many reviews online. However, the feedback that is available is mainly positive.
The Kaboom option has a special tub and tile cleaner called Oxi Clean. It's a versatile addition that makes this a versatile spray. With this, you can probably get rid of the hardest stains without much hassle.
- Simple to apply, wait 6-8 hours and rinse stains away, no scrubbing required
- Its fast acting, powerful concentrated gel formula clings to tiles, silicone sealant (around windows, sinks and baths), shower-heads, Pool and more
Skylarlife Home Mold & Mildew Remover is an effective cleaner that has the unique feature of being a gel option. It can deal with cleaning grout, mold, sealants, sinks, showers, and much more. Its gel-like consistency helps to target buildup with more accuracy. The result is less waste, in-depth cleaning, and it prevents the regrowth of mold.
This cleaner might even work in places where bleach and other products have failed. It can even deal with black mold in some cases. However, keep in mind that you need to have the area completely dry for this to work properly. This might require skipping shower use for a day.
- Prevents soap scum and stains from hard water, mold & mildew
- No need to scrub, wipe or rinse - simply spray after every shower and walk away
- Extends time between deep cleanings
- Made with plant-powered ingredients, tea tree essential oil & aloe vera
- Made without dyes, parabens, phosphates or phthalates
The Earth Friendly Products ECOS Shower Cleaner has pure oils as part of its ingredients. These include lavender and tea tree oil so you can spray this on your shower after you’re done with it. The eco-friendly composition means that you don’t need to breathe in any toxic fumes. Using this cleaner is hence a responsible decision for your health as well as the environment.
Moreover, this cleaner can fight soap scum, hard water stains, mildew, mold, and any other buildup in your shower. The plant-based ingredients, lack of dyes or phosphates, and certified safety are also attractive features.
The Best Shower Cleaner for Mold and Mildew
So, what is the best shower cleaner for mold and mildew overall? While each cleaner above has some amazing benefits, we’d recommend the Tilex cleaner above all. It works with a wide range of surfaces in an effective yet safe manner. The price is also reasonable, so you can easily get hold of it and make your shower sparkle like never before! If you can’t find this one, we recommend the super-easy Clorox option as a second choice because it doesn’t only disinfect the shower, it deodorizes it as well.