Are you still using an outdated clunker for your vacuum cleaner? In case you weren't aware, vacuum technology has reached the point where the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet is just as good as any big vacuum. In fact, in many cases, it's even better! Best of all, lightweight vacuums are so much more affordable, and easier to maintain.
In my home, I firmly believe in the power of modern technology to make life easier. On the other hand, my wife steadfastly refuses to get with the 21st Century. She insists on using a massive pull-along from ten years ago. It's the kind that requires new filters and drive belts every year. It weighs a ton. I refused to use it, but that meant I couldn't do my share of cleaning. So I went out and bought the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet that I could find. I love it! My entire house gets cleaned in half the time it takes her to lug that old beast around.
You, too, can enjoy vacuuming bliss with a lightweight cleaner.
All About Lightweight Vacuum Cleaners
When you're trying to find the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet, you'll come up against a wall of advertising. You have to dig through page after page of ads on Google just to get some basic information. What it comes down to, however, is that a lightweight vacuum cleaner weighs less than 15 pounds, has no canister or bag, is cordless, and stores easily. Storage is the key feature of a lightweight vacuum cleaner.
What's the difference?
First off, a lightweight vacuum cleaner is very different from a standard canister or hose vacuum cleaner. It's much lighter, has fewer moving parts, and is a lot thinner. You'll find a lightweight vacuum is easy to lift and use one-handed, and it stores in a closet or on a hook with no fuss. In fact, these vacuums are only a little larger than a broom of a Swiffer.
Now compare that to a canister or hose vacuum. They usually weigh over 25 pounds, have complicated motors with drive belts, and require that you maintain a close distance to the nearest electrical outlet. The worst part about these vacuums is that they are a pain to put away, especially those old hose vacuums with a separate canister that kind of pulls along behind you. Ugh, those are the worst.
Who are lightweights for?
Lightweight vacuum cleaners are for anybody who has a floor. Seriously, today, the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet is just as good as any of its bigger, clunkier cousins. Because most lightweights are cordless, this means you can also take them out and clean your car with them. Do you have a rug on your patio? Use your cordless lightweight to give it a quick cleaning.
The only people who should probably go with something bigger are those who need to clean commercial settings, such as a garage or a hotel or a restaurant. Also, professional cleaners will want something that can withstand us for hours on end, which lightweights can't handle well.
Why would I need one?
While almost everyone can benefit from a good lightweight vacuum, certain people definitely need one. If you have a lot of stairs, you'll prefer the ease of using a lightweight. Also, if you're elderly or live with a disability, then a lightweight should definitely be on your radar. The fact that you don't need to lift anything heavy will make a world of difference in your life.
How much do they cost?
Here's another great thing about buying the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet: it's cheaper than a regular canister vacuum! The prices of this kind of vacuum models vary depending on the brand and retailer, Compare that to decent canister vacuums, which can be expensive. Once you've tried one, you'll instantly wonder why you've never bought a lightweight before.
How We Reviewed
We scoured the internet to find the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet. First, we looked up all the big brands whom we know are producing lightweights. Then we researched what they each had to offer. Next, we checked out Amazon customer reviews to see what real people had to say about these machines. Any lightweights that had a lot of complaints, or couldn't handle regular day-to-day vacuuming, was booted off our list.
What we have left is a good list of the best lightweight vacuum cleaners.
The Best Lightweight Vacuum for Hardwood Floors and Carpet
Vacuuming doesn't have to be hard work. With a lightweight, you can clean your floors with one hand while the other surfs Facebook on your phone, or brandishes a glass of wine. We don't judge. Just make sure you're not standing over a white carpet with that wine glass, or you'll end up with a whole host of new problems.
To find the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet, we compared the top seven cleaners. We've listed them in no particular order.
4.8 out of 5 stars
- DETACHABLE BATTERY: With a 2500mAh capacity rechargeable lithium battery, up to 30 minutes of cord free cleaning, and get an extra battery for 60mins runtime is cost-effective than other brands'.
- VERSATILE: Quickly convert to handheld mode and operate by one hand with ease, fast clean the dust on sofa, stairs and furniture, best choice for home cleaning.
- USER-FRIENDLY: LED headlights helps to light up the dark corner, battery indicator shows the level, rotatable brush head and joint, washable HEPA and more humanized design.
- ENVIRONMENT FRIENDLY: Made of sustainable material with such excellent properties as lightweight, heat insulation, sound absorbing, stable and feel good, high efficiency filtration system to protect the air remaining fresh. Have high performance and reliability simultaneously effectively reduce the environmental pollution.
- WHAT YOU GET: XL-618B vacuum, AC adapter, lightweight aluminun alloy tube, wall mounting, 2-in-1 dusting brush, sofa brush, hair cleaning tool, electric floor brush head with hard bristle roller, user manual and our worry-free 24 months warranty.
We love this MOOSOO cordless vacuum cleaner. It has a detachable hand-vacuum that you can use to clean furniture, walls, blinds, or your car. The 2500-milliamp brushless motor is powerful enough to suck up dog hair and rocks. Normal dirt and debris don't stand a chance. Everything goes through a cyclone, honeycomb and HEPA filter so no allergens can escape. Best of all, there are two powerful LED headlights on the powerhead, which means all that dirt under the sofa or dresser is history.
It comes with an awesome two-year warranty. It was rated 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon, making it one of the highest-rated vacuums there. People loved how lightweight it is while remaining extremely powerful. Several people raved about the LED lighting. The only complaint was that the battery doesn't last too long between charges.
4.7 out of 5 stars
- 60 mins Long Lasting Runtime - Tineco A11 attached TWO detachable batteries provide 20% longer runtime for the whole house cleaning with cordless convenience.【Tineco is the Only Authorized Seller on Amazon.】
- Enhanced Extreme Suction - Tineco A11 450W digital motor provides 120W extreme suction power on MAX mode for 24 mins deeper cleaning, delivers high performance on carpets and hard floor.
- Crystal Clear Beautility- Sleek design with unique crystal main body, you can see the fine quality of every component.
- Dual Charging Powerhouse - For your easy storage and battery charging, Tineco A11 can charge two batteries at the same time and delivers longer running time up to 60 mins.
- What You Get - 4 stages fully-sealed filtration system, easy-to-empty 50% bigger dustbin, continuous power mode switch lock, LED multi-task power brush, rinse -free pre filter cleaning tool, additional pre filter, 3 accessories, instant customer service & 2 Year Worry-free Warranty. For any accessories purchasing needs, please visit Tineco Amazon Store https://www.amazon.com/tineco
Next up is the sleek, modern Tineco A11 Hero cordless vacuum cleaner. The Hero is a top candidate for the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet. It's a customer favorite. A 450-watt motor powers the entire cleaner, including the detachable handpiece. Because there are two batteries, you get over 60 minutes of continuous runtime, which is more than enough than you need. Also, there's a "super suction" mode that will blast hard-to-clean spots with a concentrated dose of 120-watt suction. Of course, this will drain your batteries faster, so use it sparingly.
With a two-year warranty, that's a great price. Customers on Amazon gave it 4.7 out of 5 stars. Almost everyone said this thing is powerful, even better than large commercial-sized cleaners. Also, customers loved the ergonomic design. The battery is removable for charging. The only complaints were that this thing is loud.
4.4 out of 5 stars
- Ultra lightweight At under 8 pounds, it converts into a hand vac for versatile floor to ceiling cleaning
- Home & Car Detail Kit Micro tools that clean the tiniest of spaces
- Fingertip controls to easily switch from hard floor to carpet
- Dual storage options Fix the hand vac to the bottom of the wand or secure it to the wall mount
- Swivel Steering Excellent control for maneuvering around furniture
Shark is making a name for themselves in the lightweight vacuum market, and the "Rocket" ultra-light vacuum shows us why. Seriously, this thing weighs less than eight pounds! There's a removable hand-piece for upholstery cleaning, and the head swivels to get around corners. A nice, bright LED light on the front of the powerhead illuminates under your furniture. What we don't like is that it's corded, so you can never move far from an outlet. That is especially awkward when using the handpiece.
The Shark Rocket garnered 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon. One thing that customers seemed to agree on is that this vacuum is powerful. It can suck up anything, and because it's corded, it never quits. Unfortunately, there were many complaints that the motor doesn't last much longer than a year, and the minimal Shark warranty doesn't cover any powerhead or motor issues.
4.6 out of 5 stars
- 【Engineered for Powerful Vacuuming】 2-speed control, provides quick powerful cleaning with Max suction. Easily picks up fine dust hair with standard mode, and picks food crumbs with max mode. Perfect for hardwood, tile, carpet and laminate floors
- 【Large Motorized Brush, LED Light】Can lay flat with swivel steering for easy maneuvering around and under furniture. LED headlights help clean in dark corners. Hard brushroll is designed for both hard floor and thin carpets
- 【Advanced Cyclonic Filtration System】Washable sponge filter with metal pre-filter case, designed to maintain unclogged powerful suction. 550ml large dust bin holds more dirt and is easy to empty with one press (Tips: Please replace the sponge filter every two or three months)
- 【Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery】Large capacity 2200mAh, 22.2V lithium battery, can be used for 25min at Max speed. A long crevice nozzle and a bristle brush help cleaning of cars, upholstery, stairs, and other hard-to-reach spots. A mini motorized brush helps remove dust, pet hair from your sofa, pillows, and beds
- 【What you get】 120W Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, a Mini Motorized Brush (remove pet hair from your sofa, pillows, and beds), 1 Long Crevice Nozzle, a 2-in-1 Bristle Brush (cleaning of cars, upholstery, stairs, and other hard-to-reach spots), a Wall Bracket(with screws and stickers), charging adapter, user manual. (The Best Gift for Mother's Day)
Next up is a super-slim vacuum on a stick. The Dibea D18 is a lightweight cordless stick vacuum. If you've never seen a stick vacuum, then you're in for a real treat. Picture a thin aluminum tube, with a powerhead on one end and a motor on the other. That's a stick vacuum. The Dibea D18 comes with a cool, clear canister in the detachable handpiece so you can see all the garbage you're vacuuming up. We like that the addition of a mini-brush, which Dibea claims can suck up dust mites and microbes.
There's a 12-month warranty attached to this stick. On Amazon, customers gave it 4.6 out of 5 stars. Most customers wrote that it is powerful and easy to use. It gets into small places, and the detachable hand vacuum works great. Unfortunately, many customers had problems with battery life.
4.6 out of 5 stars
- Powerful cordless suction for everyday dirt, debris, pet hair, and high traffic areas
- Upto 80 minutes of total runtime with 2 batteries in hand vacuum power mode; Vacuum, switch the battery, and keep going
- 2X Ion power pack system includes 2 removable, rechargeable lithium ion batteries and a charging dock
- Multiflex technology enables convenient under furniture reach and freestanding, compact storage
- Duoclean technology invented for fine dust and large debris on carpets and hard floors; One powerhead, two brushrolls; Do not use soap
Then there's the Shark ION F80. While the Shark Rocket was corded, the ION F80 is cordless. We feel that Shark was inspired be fighter jet when they made this vacuum because it has a sleek, mean, futuristic look to it. It's extremely powerful, and two batteries give it an 80-minute runtime. We don't know who vacuums for 80 minutes, but if you do, we won't judge. There are two separate brushes in the head which target different materials so that you can suck up sticks as well as dust.
Customers gave it 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Customers praised how light it is. They loved that it can get into tiny places easily. Unfortunately, many people said it's not that powerful. It doesn't clean carpets well and is only good for smaller jobs, according to a few customer reviews.
4.5 out of 5 stars
- 【2-in-1 Cordless Versatile Vacuum】The high efficient DC motor provides an impressive 8Kpa suction power for a deep and thorough cleaning. Easily converts from a cordless stick vacuum to a handheld vacuum cleaner, perfect for reaching into tight crevices in your house and vehicles.
- 【2 Speed Suction Control】Detachable 2200mAh Li-ion battery delivers high power for 24 minutes effective cleaning at high speed and 45 minutes in Eco mode, which is plenty for a deep and thorough cleaning of your apartment and even a single-family house.
- 【Lightweight and Flexible】Weighs only 4.23lbs. The 180-degree rotating power brush head with double spiral brush roller and front LED lights can highly increase cleaning efficiency even on the hard surface.
- 【HEPA and Sponge Filtration】The HEPA Filtration system can lock in small particles that other vacuums would simply re-circulate back into the surrounding air of your house, this design feature prevents the spread of allergens and dust.
- 【Easy Maintenance and Operation】Detachable and washable 0.21-gallon large dust container, and one simple button push action gives you a hygienic and empty bin. And the easy operation of this cordless vacuum thanks to its integrated operation panel, which includes ON/OFF button, speed control button and battery indicator.
Next, we have the Comfyer vacuum cleaner. We love the look of this lightweight machine. It has an aluminum finish with red accents. Other than the looks, it's a powerful, lightweight piece of equipment. The vacuum weighs around five pounds yet has a high-efficiency motor to suck up everything you need. Also, the detachable handpiece on this vacuum makes the most sense out of all of these vacuums. It's slim and contours with your arm and the main body of the vacuum. The Comfyer could easily be the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet.
It comes with a one-year warranty. On Amazon, customers gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Most customers were pleased with the suction power of this machine, which can handle hardwood floors, carpets, and pickup truck interiors with equal gusto. The most common complaint was that the battery lasts less than 20 minutes.
4.4 out of 5 stars
- Powerful suction for whole-home cleaning: Dirt, debris, pet hair, and tough messes
- Up to 50 minutes of runtime with a removable battery, which can be charged in or out of the vacuum - handheld power mode
- Powered lift-away enables three versatile modes of cleaning: (1) upright vacuum mode for deep-cleaning carpets and floors, (2) stick vacuum mode for convenient under-furniture reach, and (3) handheld vacuum mode for cleaning hard-to-reach areas around the home and car
- DuoClean Technology, invented for cleaning fine dust and large debris on carpets and hard floors. One powerhead, two brush rolls.
- 2X dust cup capacity vs Shark ION F80.
Lastly, we have the Shark ION P50 lightweight cordless upright vacuum. Now, this vacuum doesn't look anything like the others we chose. In fact, it almost resembles a robot from Star Wars. The motor and canister sit at the bottom of the tube, near the powerhead, giving it a bulbous appearance. It's great for picking up pet hair, and the bulbous canister detaches so you can use it with a hose attachment to clean upholstery and ceilings. Because it's a Shark, you're getting the same HEPA filter you get with all their vacuums, keeping your home allergen-free.
Customers on Amazon gave it 4.4 out of 5 stars. The first thing we noticed was that customers loved the battery life on this vacuum. It's consistent, and the indicator on the handle is useful. Customers also loved that the canister comes right off for easy access. On the other hand, a few customers complained that the motor isn't powerful enough to tackle bigger jobs such as thick carpeting or big messes.
So, Which One is the Best?
So, which one is the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet? We need to go with our favorite, which is also a customer favorite. That is the Tineco A11 Hero vacuum. However, if you're not into its design, the MOOSOO is a close second. You can't go wrong with either of these machines. They do exactly what a lightweight vacuum is supposed to do. They suck up dirt, they're easy to handle, they're versatile, they store anywhere, and they look good, too!
You may have noticed that Shark has three vacuums on this list. That's because Shark's name is almost synonymous with vacuums, and their products are everywhere. Also, they produce decent vacuums. We just don't think that they're the best lightweight vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet.
What do you think? Do you have a favorite lightweight vacuum we didn't list here? Let us know in the comments.