Finding the best bagless vacuum for pet hair can mean winning the neverending war on hair and dander in your home. Okay, at least for a little while. As all pet owners know, the fight will never stop, but with the right tools, the hassle becomes manageable. For some, it can be enjoyable to watch the hair quickly leave your home and fill up the canister of a vacuum. It's always shocking to see how much hair is all around us after a good vacuuming. Finding the best bagless vacuum for pet hair can make you realize how filthy the carpet is and how much you need a good vacuum.
Of course, you can pick a vacuum that uses bags. The choice is one that many with pet allergies prefer, but this time we will focus on bagless vacuums. Many highly-rated bagless models are available which will do an excellent job of eliminating allergens at the microscopic scale. You'll be able to breathe, which is always a lovely bonus in any situation.
Best Bagless Vacuum For Pet Hair
The best bagless vacuum for pet hair must have extra power for removing deeply embedded hair from carpeting. It must also remove pet hair from smooth surfaces without allowing the fur to fly around and scatter in the home. The carpet brush must not easily become entangled with fur. You should spend time cleaning, not fussing with the machine.
Along with these strengths, the best bagless vacuum for pet hair has versatility and easy maneuverability. The best bagless vacuum for pet hair has a wide variety of attachments that reach underneath furniture. Cleverly designed attachments allow you to clean draperies, furnishings, and stairs. Some even light up with LED lights that help you spot the hair and dust. With so many brands on the market, we expect quite a lot from the best bagless vacuums for pet hair and the manufacturers do an excellent job of delivering. Although no vacuum will ever be perfect, some of them come reasonably close.
How We Chose The Vacuums
We used reviews from Consumer Reports and Amazon to help us narrow down the field and find the best bagless vacuum for pet hair. Often, the reviews on these two sites do not align whatsoever, so we tried to find options for the best bagless vacuum for pet hair that are rated reasonably high on both sites. It seems no vacuum will ever get a perfect 5.0 out of 5.0 stars rating, yet some are actually close.
To find the best bagless vacuum for pet hair, we focused mostly on stick and upright vacuums rather than handheld vacuums or robot vacs. Smaller vacs tend to quickly get clogged up with pet hair, and who needs that? Well, you might for certain situations like spills and spot cleaning, but we'll look at machines that can clean your entire home.
Choices For The Best Bagless Vacuum For
Here is our list of top choices for the best bagless vacuum for pet hair. We hope you'll find just the right weapon for the neverending war on pet hair. We'll start with the most affordable good options.
- With attributes like maximum performance and convenience, this stick vacuum cleaner is a great choice for removing all the dirt, dust and debris
- Save your time & money with bagless dust collection as you don't have to buy bags
- To eliminate the need to purchase dust bags or of emptying cloth bags, the dirt cup can be used to collect dust making cleaning quick and efficient
We'll begin with a relatively inexpensive cordless Shark stick vacuum. The Shark brand gets top marks from Consumer Reports for brand reliability over three years. This vacuum gets top marks for dealing with pet hair. However, it may do a much better job on carpeting instead of bare floors. If you have hardwood or smooth floors, this model gets only mediocre reviews from Consumer Reports, with a rating of 67 out of 100 overall.
They say the powerful brush rotates continuously and can scatter debris on smooth floors. However, on Amazon, customers are pretty happy with it. It seems to be a good choice if you want something inexpensive without all the bells and whistles that tackles pet hair on mostly carpeting.
A big plus with this choice is it operates without a lot of noise and it's easy to maneuver. This vac has swivel steering and weighs around ten pounds. Since it is cordless, it has to recharge after each operation. It doesn't come with attachments and doesn't convert to a handheld model like some of the Shark vacs. Consumer Reports indicates it may need to charge after 17 minutes and it takes 6 hours to recharge the vacuum. Is this the best bagless vacuum for pet hair? Probably not, but it's a great option for the price.
- 40 Minutes of Cordless Power - Removable Lithium Ion battery for 40 minutes of fade free power and cordless convenience
- Lightweight & Compact - This cordless powerhouse weighs less than 8 pounds and has a collapsible handle for easy storage
- Powerful Multi Surface Cleaning - Innovative power foot design and multi surface brush roll delivers high performance cleaning on hard floors and carpets
- Maximized Maneuverability - With swivel steering and a lay flat handle, Air Ram maneuvers under and around furniture with ease
- Easy Empty Dirt Bin - Removable dirt bin with built in Easy Empty slider that pushes out debris, hair and dirt for a mess free empty.Charge Time:4 Hours to Recharge
This stick vac from Bissell scores high with Consumer Reports, getting 91 out of 100 possible points. It excels at removing pet hair on both bare floors and on carpeting. As a big bonus, it's quiet. The caveat seems to be it's not as maneuverable around tight spots and edges even though it weighs under eight pounds. Bissell did not rank as one of the top brands for reliability over three years. However, the Bissell Air Ram 1984 gets high marks from Amazon customers and Consumer Reports.
This vacuum is relatively inexpensive but does not come with attachments or convert to a handheld unit. One drawback is the powerful carpet brush roll has to be manually removed for use on smooth floors, but it's easy with a release button. The dirt collection bin is easy to empty with a lever that helps push out the contents. This vac also gets high marks for clean emissions, so it's a good choice for those with allergies. The manufacturer states it runs for 40 minutes before requiring charging again. While it may not replace an upright vacuum or canister, it's a good choice for smaller homes and apartments or for use with targeting spills and pet hair buildup.
This stick vacuum has an extremely high rating from Consumer Reports of 90 out of a possible 100. For a vacuum, this is almost absurdly high, with perfect scores for removing pet hair, use on bare floors, and carpet. Since it's a stick vacuum, it may not totally replace an upright for large homes. However, it might replace your handheld unit since it converts to one.
Consumer Reports rates the Shark brand of stick vacs as the tops for long-term reliability. The large dirt chamber can be emptied easily on one step to avoid exposure to dust. It comes with a large 30-foot cord and accessories like a crevice and upholstery tool. A hair removal tool on the vacuum helps keep the brush roll from getting clogged up, but the brush is easy to remove if necessary. At just 9.9 pounds, it is easy to maneuver with advanced swivel steering, although it isn't cordless and can be somewhat loud. One of the slight negatives is it will not stand on its own, so will need to be leaned against something if you take a break while vacuuming.
- Renewed products work and look like new. These pre-owned products have been inspected and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers. Box and accessories may be generic. All Renewed products come with the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
- 2-in-1 vacuum with powered lift-away and pet hair pick-up
- Includes upholstery tool and crevice tool
- Anti-allergen and HEPA filters trap 99.99% of dust and allergens and 2 foam filters keep them from escaping into the air
- 1140-watt base with 12-inch clearing path width
Although the Shark stick vacs are higher rated by Consumer Reports, this upright bagless model offers a nice alternative with a rating of 70 out of 100. It's highest ratings are for removing pet hair, clean emissions, and operation on smooth surfaces. As with the Dyson Ball Animal 2, it is rated excellent for removing embedded pet hair from carpeting. This one has the advantage of suction control, so you won't be as likely to damage things like the drapes.
This vacuum weighs 16 pounds and has a decent cord length of 26 feet. It has versatility, converting to a handheld canister by touching a button. As with almost all of the vacuums for pet hair, you may find it a bit noisy. On the other hand, Shark is one of the highest rated of all vacuum brands by Consumer Reports, so the long-term reliability looks great.
This particular model is available through Target and from third-party sellers on Amazon.
- Dust cup capacity 1.5 quarts; Shark's original full sized Powered Lift Away; The canister detaches to deep clean hard to reach areas while still delivering power to keep the brushroll spinning
- Anti Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum
- XL capacity with full size performance.Hose length (ft.): 6
- Fingertip controls allow you to easily switch from Hard Floor to Carpet mode
This upright model is 17 pounds and has a 30-foot cord to help with getting around large spaces without sacrificing power. Consumer Reports rates it with 63 out of 100 possible points. Keep in mind vacs over 70 points tend to be the highest rated in this category. Although it rates very highly in removing pet hair and has very clean emissions, it may be better on smooth floor surfaces rather than carpeting. It has powerful suction but also has suction control to prevent damage to draperies. It also features a convenient switch to shut off the carpet brush when moving to smooth flooring.
Although powerful, this Shark is relatively quiet, which is a big plus. It is also versatile, converting easily to a handheld canister and a full wheel canister vacuum. The dynamic swivel steering makes it easy to handle in tight areas, and it features LED lights for dark spots. A motorized attachment for cleaning pet hair is perfect for tackling embedded hair on furniture.
- Extremely Versatile Cleaner with No Cords! Includes Two Cleaner Heads for Complete Hard Floor and Carpet Cleaning
- Up to 40 Minutes of Run Time - The Dyson Digital Motor Spins Up to 110,000 RPM to Generate Powerful Suction
- The Dyson V8 Absolute has been designed with the center of gravity near the grip for Easy, Lightweight Cleaning Up Top, Down Below and In-Between Places, Things and Areas
- The V8 Absolute has Whole Machine HEPA Filtration and is perfect for allergies so that the air that exits the machine is cleaner than the air that enters the machine.
- Box Includes: Quick Release Extension Hose, Stubborn Dirt Brush, Mattress Tool, Fluffy Soft Roller Cleaner Head, Direct Drive Cleaner Head, Electric Wand Set, Mini Motorized Tool, Docking Station, Soft Dusting Brush, Combination Accessory Tool, Crevice Tool and Manuals
Dyson is known for higher end vacuums that won't lose suction, but do they live up to the high expectations? With the Dyson V8 Absolute, they come close. Consumer Reports rates this vacuum at 93 out of a possible 100 points. That's one of the top ratings of any stick vac, although long-term reliability ranks as high as Shark. This stick vac is also one of the most expensive but has high ratings for cleaning carpet, bare floors, removing pet hair, getting around edges, and noise. The price could be worth it in that case.
The main advantage over the Shark stick vac is this one is cordless. However, it will only run a short time of less than ten minutes on the highest turbo setting. So there is a clear trade-off for going cordless. If not in turbo mode, the manufacturer claims it can run for up to 40 minutes. It's easy to handle at a little over 15 pounds. When not in use you'll need some wall space for the charging docking station. The main drawbacks seem to be the limited runtime, and you may need to empty the relatively small collection container frequently.
- Strongest suction of any vacuum*. Even more power for tough tasks
- Self-adjusting cleaner head Seals in suction across carpet, wood, vinyl, and tile floors
- Hygienically empty the bin with the push of a button
- Whole-machine HEPA filtration ensures allergens and bacteria are captured and trapped
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 has an appealing design with powerful functionality. Consumer Reports gives it 71 out of 100, with excellent ratings for cleaning bare floors, removing pet hair, and removing allergens and dust particles. This Dyson has strong suction through the attachments but doesn't have flow control, which means you could accidentally damage draperies. Keep in mind: The manufacturer claims to have the strongest suction of any vacuum.
With a 30-foot cord, this 17-pound vac will be easy to maneuver, thanks in part to the Dyson pivoting design. The biggest drawbacks appear to be the somewhat noisy operation and lack of suction control. It appears to be ideal for those with smooth floors rather than carpeting, where it will pick up all the dirt and hair without leaving traces behind.
- This powerful but quiet German-engineered Miele bagless canister vacuum has a Turbo Brush Floorhead for low-medium pile carpet, and a Parquet Twister floorhead with soft bristles for hard floors.
- Powerful Vortex Technology provides the deepest clean possible. Switch from 4 different suction power settings specific to the surface being cleaned via Rotary Dial.
- The maintenance-free HEPA Lifetime Filter and Gore CleanStream Fine Dust Filter, ensure top-notch filtration. With Click2open hygienic emptying, you do not have to worry about that cloud of fine dust particles coming back up into the air when emptying the dustbin.
- Standard accessories include STB 305-3 TurboTeQ Floorhead, SBB 300-3 Parquet Twister Floorhead, Dusting Brush, Upholstery Tool and Crevice Tool.
- 7-year manufacturer warranty on motor and casing, and 1-year manufacturer warranty on parts and labor.
Miele canister vacuums are among the higher rated vacuums on Consumer Reports. This one offers a bagless solution for those who prefer not to use bags. It excels in cleaning bare floors, eliminating pet hair, and for clean emissions. In other areas, there are some drawbacks, including a relatively short 21-foot cord and average carpet cleaning performance.
This vacuum weighs 15 pounds, however as a canister vac, it doesn't rate as highly on maneuverability. A long hose length helps with handling, and it features suction control to protect draperies. It not as noisy as many of the vacs on our list, which could be a determining factor for some. This model is considerably more expensive than many of the vacuums we've looked at so far, and you will have to decide if you think it's worth the investment. Consumer Reports gives it a 63 out of 100 points.
Which Vacuum Should You Choose?
Combining Consumer Reports ratings with Amazon customer ratings, and looking at overall price, the Shark Rocket Complete with DuoClean HV382 stands out as a top-rated choice at a good price. If you don't want a stick vac, then the Shark Navigator Powered Lift-Away NV586 offers another great choice. As the brand with the best ratings for long-term reliability on Consumer Reports, the Shark models really do stand out as smart choices.
On the other hand, the Dyson V8 Absolute offers a cordless stick vac alternative with excellent ratings. If you prefer an upright, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 is a great alternative, although it isn't perfect without suction control. If you want to spend a bit less, then there are great options on our list. Or if you want the top of the line brand name in a bagless canister, the Miele Blizzard CX1 Cat & Dog might be the choice for you. We hope whatever you choose, you'll have an edge in winning the neverending war on pet hair.